Ask Dr. Rich - Toxic Household Items
A: There are many household items you need to keep away from your dog especially if it’s the food obsessed kind like my black labrador retriever, Rosie.
Labor Day weekend is supposed to be stress free and full of family fun, right? Well, not true for the Coleman family just a few weeks ago. We went to the lake with family friends for summer’s final send off while one of my hospital staff stayed with our two dogs and two cats.
Early Sunday morning an emergency happened. Rosie found some sugar-free gum in my daughter’s bedroom and ate almost a whole plastic container full. Quickly, she became lethargic and, luckily, my staff member was there to spring into action. She called the doctors at my animal hospital and was instructed to bring her in immediately. On the way to the hospital, Rosie had a seizure and became limp. She was suffering from extremely low blood sugar from the Xylitol in the gum. We were close to losing her. Right away my staff started IV treatments and soon Rosie was doing better. She required observation for the rest of the long weekend; they stayed by her side until we were able to get home. I’m happy to report Rosie is doing well and back to her normal “ food searching” self.
Even the vet’s animals get sick and have emergencies! Because of that, I wanted to give you a list of some of the more common household toxins. If you suspect your dog has ingested any of them please rush to your local veterinarian.
- Sugar free gums and peanut butters with Xylitol
- Macadamia nuts
- Grapes and raisins
- Caffeinated drinks
- Raw yeast dough
- Autumn crocus
- Lily of the valley
- Sago palm
Thanks for asking Dr. Rich and stay well during these trying times.